Grease sparks fire at Tempe restaurant

Posted: Updated:
1st alarm fire at Tempe restaurant 1st alarm fire at Tempe restaurant
TEMPE, AZ (CBS5) -

A small grease fire in the kitchen of My Big Fat Greek Restaurant in Tempe forced the closure of part of Mill Avenue on Thursday afternoon.

At least 15 customers were evacuated, along with other people from adjoining businesses. 

"The fire appears to have traveled from the ductwork in the kitchen to the ductwork in Urban Outfitters on the second floor," said City of Tempe spokeswoman Nikki Ripley.

Ripley said city workers share the back of the building and they were also affected.

"We just got our grease traps cleaned two weeks ago," said George Papamatheakis, manager of the restaurant.

No one was hurt.

Mill Avenue was closed in both directions between Fifth and Seventh streets.

Copyright 2012 CBS 5   (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.