PHOENIX -- A Scottsdale third grader is being hailed as a hero for saving the lives of his family members.
On October 27, Drew Friedland, a student at Cheyenne Traditional School, woke up in the middle of the night, and smelled what he thought was spray paint. He immediately woke up his family, got them out of the house and called the fire department.
"I woke up my mom and dad and said, I smell something," Drew says. "They smelled it too. We went downstairs, called 9-1-1, and got out of the house as quick as we could."
"He came in and told us about what he smelled," says Drew's dad, Mitch. "We said, go back to sleep, but he kept at it and said no, he smelled something."
Fire officials say it was a good thing the Friedlands got out when they did. It turned out that the odor was a leaking gas tank from a motorcycle in the garage. Firefighters say the vapors in the garage were in the flammable range and could have ignited at any point.
Drew had learned about fire safety during a school program two years ago. It seems that the lesson stuck with him! Monday he was recognized by the Scottsdale Fire Department for his bravery and quick thinking.