Phoenix man pleads guilty to child abuse

Phoenix man pleads guilty to child abuse

Taylor Jose Basilio

Print
Email
|

by The Associated Press

azfamily.com

Posted on April 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

PHOENIX (AP) -- A Phoenix man accused of harming his infant son last month has pleaded guilty to attempted child abuse and child abuse.

A Maricopa County Superior Court spokesman says sentencing for Taylor Jose Basilio is set for May 7 before Judge John Ditsworth, who started his career on the bench in family court in 2001 before moving to criminal court in October 2006.

Basilio was arrested in January 2012 after doctors discovered that his 7-week-old son had several broken bones and a fractured skull.

Authorities say Basilio and his wife brought their child to a pediatrician Dec. 5 to receive a flu shot because he had a stuffy nose.

During the visit, the doctor noticed that the boy was underweight and had him further evaluated at hospital. That's when the broken bones and skull fracture were discovered.

When police interviewed the baby's mother, she said she did now know how the baby's bones were broken.

During his initial interview with police, Basilio asked about getting counseling for his anger issues, calling himself an "angry man" who gets "frustrated often." Court paperwork indicates that he has prior arrests for two counts of domestic-violence assault. Those documents also show that Basilio told police, "I have done stupid things lately," although he did not elaborate.

There are a variety of factors that will be taken into consideration when it comes to sentencing Basilio, but based on A.R.S. § 13-705, which lays out potential sentences for "dangerous crimes against children," the sentence for child abuse is a  minimum of 10 years in prison and up to 24 years.

Print
Email
|