CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Two people and their dogs are dead after an early morning fire tore through their Chandler home Wednesday.
It happened just after midnight in the area of Alma School and Warner roads.
The house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters and police officers arrived on the scene.
Fire crews found an 83-year-old woman in a bathroom and a 72-year-old man in a bedroom. They have not been identified and the nature of their relationship was not immediately available. It's not clear if they were trying to escape.
The victims had two greyhounds that also died in the fire.
Investigators have not determined what sparked the fire, but the woman reportedly was on oxygen. In addition, both the man and woman reportedly were smokers.
Because the intense flames gutted the home, investigators say it will take them some time to determine the origin and path of the fire.