Electrical malfunction causes Glendale house fire

Print
Email
|

by Tess Rafols

Bio | Email | Follow: @Tess3TV

azfamily.com

Posted on June 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Updated Friday, Jun 14 at 11:03 AM

Map: House fire

View larger map

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A fire at a home in Glendale Wednesday morning was caused by an electrical malfunction, according to investigators.

The home near Missouri and 73rd avenues was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The fire had spread into the attic.

No one was inside the home when the fire started at about 6:30 a.m.

Investigators with the Glendale Fire Department said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction within the stove range hood. The fire traveled rapidly up the wall into the attic and caused the roof to collapse in the middle of the home.

The fire is being classified as accidental.

A captain with the Glendale Fire Department was transported to a hospital after experiencing heat exhaustion symptoms. He has since been released.

"Everybody just needs to stay super hydrated," said Capt. Chris Cetwinski with the Glendale Fire Department. "After a 24-hour shift, it's difficult to maintain your hydration and that's what we normally do on our off days is try and hydrate as much as possible."

The residence was being used as a community placement home for Southwest Behavior Center. Four adults have been displaced due to the fire.

Print
Email
|