Your Life A to Z Recipe: Friday, October 11
By: Chef Lee Hilson
• 1 bunch fresh cilantro (about 2 cups cilantro leaves)
• 1 small onion, peeled
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 small green chili pepper, trimmed and halved, with seeds
• 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
• 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
• 1 1/2 pounds rib-eye steak, cut into 24 one-inch chunks
• 1 medium red onion, peeled
• 1 cup mango chutney
• 4 pieces naan bread (optional)
1. Place the cilantro, yellow onion, garlic, chili, ginger, and salt with 3 tablespoons of the oil in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until a paste is formed. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Put 2 tablespoons of the paste in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice to make the cilantro sauce. Cover and set aside. Stir the curry powder into the rest of the paste. Add the steak and coat well. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
3. Cut the red onion into 6 wedges and separate each wedge into 2 layers. Thread the beef and onion chunks onto eight 9-inch skewers. Brush a grill pan with the remaining oil. Preheat grill pan, then grill the kebabs for 8 to 10 minutes, turning the skewers every 2 minutes. Serve with the cilantro sauce, chutney, and naan, if desired.
• 25gm potato
• 225gm chopped spinach (I used freshly frozen)
• 1 green chilli
• 1 garlic clove
• Half tsp coriander powder
• Half tsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves
• Squeeze of lemon
• Salt to taste
• 1 tbsp oil
Dice the potatoes into small cubes and mince the garlic. In a medium pot or wok, bring the oil to heat on high. When it starts sizzling around a wooden spoon, gently drop in the garlic and potatoes. Toss them gently and mix in the spice powders.
You want to stir this until the potatoes are almost cooked – you will know because the outside will be translucent and a fork will go through a piece with some difficulty. If the potatoes start going brown or sticking to the bottom of the wok, add a tablespoon of water. You could even cover the wok to help cook the potatoes faster.
Next mix in the spinach and green chillies. Mix the ingredients together for another five minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Add salt to taste, stir through the fresh coriander and squeeze a little lemon before you serve this.