• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 6 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2 medium shallots, minced
• 2 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, minced
• 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons white wine
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 6 tablespoons good olive oil
• 1/2 cup panko
• 6 tablespoons dry white wine
• 2 pound fresh scallops
• Lemon, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place 6 (6-inch round) gratin dishes on a sheet pan.
To make the topping, place the butter in the bowl add the garlic, shallot, pancetta, parsley, lemon juice, white wine, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. Add the olive oil slowly as though making mayonnaise, until combined. Fold the panko in with a rubber spatula and set aside.
Preheat the broiler, if it's separate from your oven.
Place 1 tablespoon of the wine in the bottom of each gratin dish. With a small sharp knife, remove the white muscle and membrane from the side of each scallop and discard. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and distribute them among the 3 dishes. Spoon the garlic butter evenly over the top of the scallops. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the topping is golden and sizzling and the scallops are barely done. If you want the top crustier, place the dishes under the broiler for 2 minutes, until browned. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped parsley and serve immediately with crusty French bread.