Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 cups sour cream (regular or nonfat)
2 cups Mexican-style shredded cheese blend (regular or reduced-fat), divided
1/2 cup mild, medium, or hot salsa
1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
11/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Place chicken in medium saucepan and pour over enough cold water to cover. Set pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.
3. Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add sour cream, 11⁄4 cups of the shredded cheese, salsa, chiles, cumin, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
4. Arrange half of the tortillas in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish that has been coated with non-stick spray, overlapping the pieces to cover the surface. Top with half of the chicken mixture and smooth over with the back of a spoon to even the top. Layer remaining tortillas over top, and spoon over remaining chicken mixture. Top with remaining 3⁄4 cup cheese and chopped cilantro.
5. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes, or until top is golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Two Bean Mango Salsa
Preparation and cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 cups
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
2 ripe mangoes, seeded and diced
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.