Cherry Shortcake Tart
Yield: one 9-1/2’’ tart
2 cups (10 oz) Cherries, pitted and cut in half
1 Tart shell (recipe follows)
8 oz. Cream cheese
6 oz. Powdered sugar
2 each Eggs
1 tsp. Lemon zest
¼ tsp. Vanilla extract
1. Arrange the cherries into the pre-baked tart shell.
2. In a mixer fitted with a paddle, soften the cream cheese on low speed. Add half of the sugar and incorporate into the cheese on low speed. Add the remaining half and mix in. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the bowl and add lemon and vanilla; mix. Pour cream cheese mixture over the berries and spread evenly.
3. Place tart on a baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes or until cream is set (center will still appear a little loose).
4. Allow to cool. Can be refrigerated or served at room temperature. Cut into 8 or 10 slices and serve.
Shortcake Tart Crust
Makes one 9-1/2’’ tart
1 cup Flour, all purpose
2 Tbsp. Sugar
½ tsp. Baking powder
¼ tsp. Salt
2 Egg yolks, hard boiled
3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/2 cup Heavy cream
1. Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir together. Pass the egg yolks through a fine sieve and add to dry ingredients.
2. Cut the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Add the cream and stir until incorporated. Finish kneading by hand.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 10-1/2'' circle about 3/8'' thick. Lightly butter a 9-1/2” fluted tart pan and dust with flour. Carefully transfer the dough to the pan. Press the dough into the sides of the pan, and then press the top of the rim of dough into the edge of the pans so it extends slightly above the rim.
4. Line shell with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Pre-bake until lightly browned. (Approximately 20-25 minutes in a 400 degree oven).
5. Cool to room temperature and remove pie weights.