2 Tablespoons of butter
2 medium shallots, chopped finely (1/2 cup)
1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ teaspoon of kosher salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup Marsala wine
12 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 small spring fresh dill (1 teaspoon)
1 large egg, lightly whipped
1 Parmesan Almond Crust, pre-baked
1 recipe Sour Cream Topping
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a 10” frying pan. Add shallots and sauté until translucent. Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until shrimp are half done. Add Marsala and simmer until the wine has reduced in volume by 1/3.
3. Pour contents of pan into a shallow dish, cool to room temperature, and chop in a food processor. Reserve.
4. Whip cream cheese with an electric mixer on low speed for 3-4 minutes, stopping periodically to scrape the sides of the bowl. Blend in chopped shrimp mixture. Season with lemon zest, lemon juice, and fresh dill. Mix in the egg 1/3 at a time until it is absorbed. Taste the batter and adjust the seasoning.
5. Pour cream cheese mixture into pre-baked crust. Bake cheesecake at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until firm. Temperature in the center should be 170 degrees. Remove cheesecake from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
6. Spread Sour Cream Topping over the cake and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Let cheesecake rest for 30 minutes at room temperature and then chill overnight before serving.
Note: This recipe was created at 7,000 feet in Flagstaff. The cooking time will be about 10 minutes less at sea level.
Parmesan Almond Crust for the Shrimp Cheesecake
1. 3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
2. 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
3. 1/3 cup of almonds, toasted and ground
4. 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Combine all ingredients and stir vigorously. The mixture should be moist enough to form a ball. If not, add more melted butter.
2. Press crust into a 7” springform pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Some butter will drip out of the pan so place a catch pan underneath. Chill. Use as directed with shrimp cheesecake recipe.
Sour Cream Topping for Shrimp Cheesecake
1 cup of sour cream
2 tablespoons of fresh chives, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon of white pepper
1. Combine ingredients and whip until smooth
2. Use as directed to top shrimp cheesecake