I love this one it is so easy and great for feeding large groups or just the two of you. It also jars well. Marinara in Italy or Spain traditionally refers to a tomato based sauce with some kind of seafood ( fish, clams, squid) , But in the states it is interpreted as a tomato based vegetable sauce. So here we go!
(6) fresh tomatoes (my favorites heirloom, Roma, plum)
These need to be peeled and deseeded.
1. Cut a shallow x on the bottom of the tomato
2. Prepare a bowl of ice water and set it aside. Place a pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil. Then, drop the tomato into the boiling water. You will remove it after 30 seconds or when the skin begins to peel. If you intend to peel several tomatoes make sure you have enough water for all of the tomatoes.
3. Let the tomato sit in the ice bath for at least 5 minutes. It is important the tomato be cooled all the way through in order to stop the cooking process the boiling water began.
4. Once the tomato has been chilled, remove it from the ice water. The tomato should still be very firm, with the skin wrinkled and hanging off of it slightly.Begin peeling the tomato. Peel the skin off with your hands.
5. If the skin is stubborn, use a small sharp paring knife to remove the pieces of skin that will not budge, being careful not to squeeze the tomato.
Or you can simply substitute with 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 fl oz truffle oil
1 fl oz olive oil
1 stalk celery
5 cloves garlic
1/4 oz oregano
1/2 oz parsley
1 oz basil
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 cup red wine
Salt and pepper
1. Clean the celery, Peel the carrot, and peel the onion and garlic.
2. Rough chop these vegetables about 1/2 inch size pieces.
3. Bring the oil to smoke point in a large stock pot and add the veggies.
4. Sweat the veggies at a medium temperature, you don't want them to brown, just cook.
5. This will take about 12 minuets, meanwhile, De-stem the oregano, basil and the parsley.
6. Once the veggies are Al dente toss in the wine to deglaze the pan.
7. Now add the tomatoes ( if you want a chunky sauce only add half the tomatoes now and the remaining tomatoes in step 10. with the Basil) and cook together for 15 minutes.
8. add in the chili flakes, oregano, and parsley basil stems.
9. Puree in a blender or with a wand until smooth.
10. Add the basil leaves and pulse until desired size.
11. You may add water to the sauce to thin it to you liking.
12. Season with salt and pepper to your tastes.
13. holds 7 days in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer, my need to be re-seasoned after sitting.