Yield: 4-6 Servings
1-1/2 lb Flank steak
1 recipe Beef Marinade (recipe follows)
½ lb Tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch dice
1/4 each Jalapeno, sliced thinly
1 each Mango, peeled, seeded and diced (about 15 oz.)
1 each Avocado, diced
2 Tbsp Red onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp Rice vinegar
1-1/2 tsp Ginger, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Coriander seed, freshly toasted and ground
1 Tbsp Cilantro, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Olive oil
As needed Cilantro sprigs for garnish
1. Place the flank steak in a glass or stainless steel container. Pour enough of the marinade over the beef to coat well; cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator at least 8 hours, up to 24.
2. Make the salsa: In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, chili, mango, avocado and red onion.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the vinegar, ginger, coriander, cilantro and olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Pour ginger dressing over tomatoes and toss gently; check seasoning.
5. Pre-heat grill to high. Remove the beef from the marinade, place on the grill and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill approximately 8-9 minutes on each side; 125 degrees internal temperature for medium rare. Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
6. Slice meat thinly on the diagonal and serve with the tomato mango salsa. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs.
Yield: Approx. 2 cups
2 Tbsp Honey
1/4 cup Soy sauce
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 large Shallot, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. Mustard powder
1 tsp. Paprika
1/2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
1/2 Tbsp Oregano, chopped
1/2 Tbsp Thyme, chopped
1/2 Tbsp Rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup Olive oil
1. In a blender, combine honey, soy, garlic, shallots, mustard powder and paprika. On low speed, puree into a paste. With the motor running, add the oil in a stream. Add the herbs and blend briefly. Best if marinated over night