Stranded Chinese boat removed from Philippine reef

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on April 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippine coast guard says a Chinese fishing boat carrying thousands of kilos (pounds) of scaly anteater meat has been removed from a marine sanctuary where it run aground last week.

Coast guard spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Armand Balilo said the F/V Min Long Yu was towed Saturday to the Palawan provincial capital of Puerto Princesa southwest of Manila, a day after it was extricated from the Tubbataha National Marine Park.

The 12 Chinese fishermen have been in custody since they struck the reef on April 8 and charged with poaching.

The U.S. minesweeper USS Guardian ran aground in another part of Tubbataha on Jan. 17 and was removed March 30 after being dismantled and lifted piece by piece by a crane to prevent more damage to the reef.

Print
Email
|