SANAA, Yemen (AP) — A top official in Yemen says his country is disappointed to find that a large and diverse cache of weapons seized on a ship last month had been exported from Iran.
Speaking in a news conference Saturday, Yemen's interior minister said an investigation found that the weapons were destined for armed insurgents. He didn't elaborate, saying only that an investigation is ongoing.
He said he had hoped Iran would not "export weapons to Yemen". It was the first acknowledgement by a Yemeni official on the record to hold Iran responsible for the shipment.
The U.S. State Department says the initial findings of the Yemeni investigation show that "Iran continues to defy the international community through its proliferation activities and support for destabilizing action in the region."
Yemen has asked the U.N. Security Council to investigate the cargo of Iranian-made missiles, rockets and other weapons. Yemen's president has warned Iran to "stop meddling" in the affairs of his country.