Talks adjourn between Congo government and rebels

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on December 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Updated Friday, Dec 21 at 10:32 AM

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — Uganda's defense minister says that talks between the Congolese government and the M23 rebels are being put on hold for two weeks.

Crispus Kiyonda said Friday that the talks will resume on Jan. 4.

Critics say the talks, which began earlier this month, have failed to make much progress as tensions deepen in eastern Congo.

Uganda's defense minister, though, said progress had been made toward finalizing procedural rules and the agenda for the talks.

He also said he would continue to consult with both sides by phone until negotiations resume next month.

The rebels accuse Congo's government of failing to honor the terms of a 2009 peace deal that incorporated them into the national army. Rwanda is believed to be backing the rebels, a charge its government denies.

Print
Email
|