Fire tears through Scottsdale apartment; 2 dogs rescued from nearby units

Print
Email
|

by Catherine Holland

azfamily.com

Posted on October 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Map: 68th Street and Osborn Road

View larger map

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A Scottsdale family is homeless after a late-night fire tore through their apartment.

Firefighters were called to an apartment complex at 68th Street and Osborn Road shortly after 10:30 p.m. Thursday.

When they arrived, they saw flames shooting out the window of the second-floor apartment.

"We initially had problems making entry into the apartment because of the amount of fire that was coming out the front window," explained Capt. Dave Folio of the Scottsdale Fire Department.

There also was a security door that slowed them down a bit.

Once crews got inside, they were faced with a wall of flames. Folio said it took 40 firefighters to knock down the fire.

While flames extended into the attic, but crews were able to contain the fire to the one apartment.

"We were concerned that it was going to starting running the common attic," Folio said. "We got lucky tonight."

The good news is that nobody was home when the fire broke out.

In addition to dealing with the fire, crews also rescued two dogs, one each from the apartment on either side of the burning unit, Folio said.

At least one of those units sustained some smoke and water damage.

No injuries were reported.

It's not yet known what sparked the fire.

Print
Email
|