It’s not New York Fashion Week, but it is pretty impressive.
“All this stuff was built here today,” Russell Goldstein told us, “There were people here since 9 a.m.
You are hiring project managers to build the stages, build the screens so lots of jobs, lots of money back to the economy. Good stuff.”
A look behind the scenes of Phoenix Fashion Week, and you can feel the energy. Local celebrity models were getting ready to walk the runway as the big fashion event kicks off.
It has become a huge economic force for the city. “It’s not just a fashion show; there is a business – big business,” says Goldstein.
There are also big dreams for the 30 designers hoping to make their mark. For these designers, fashion week could quite literally change the course of their life.
(Melissa Rein, Carey Peña, Silbia Bours)
“Since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a fashion designer,” says Silbia Bours.
She’s traveled to Phoenix from her home town of Sonora, Mexico, a place that has been torn apart by drug-fueled violence. In this moment, her only focus is fashion.
She told us that she wants to be “recognized globally from New York to Paris.”
There are a lot of dreams on the runway at Phoenix Fashion Week. But there is also a fair amount of risk. It’s not easy to make it in the fashion industry, especially right now.
However Russell Goldstein says everyone here is optimistic, “It’s always scary,” he says. “The economy is rough and it’s hard to start a business in any economy, especially in today’s world. But when you are really, really passionate about something and you put all of your heart into it, I think that helps smooth out the rough times.”
Phoenix Fashion Week 2011 Highlights:
- “Fashionably Pink” Celebrity Fashion Show benefiting Susan G. Komen for the Cure Phoenix presented by Go Daddy taking place at the Musical Instrument Museum on October 5th
- 30 Established and Emerging Designer Fashion Shows taking place exclusively at Talking Stick Resort on October 6th-8th
- Style Villa Shopping Experience featuring Straight-from-the-Runway clothing and accessories by Phoenix Fashion Week designers
- Business of Fashion Seminars for next generation industry professionals hosted by corporate executives of Zappos and iContact
- Yelp “Log-In Lounge” Blogger Facility
- Phoenix Fashion Week Emerging Designer Contest
- Model of the Year Contest presented by VITAMINWATER ZERO
- Glam VIP and public after-parties atop the picturesque Talking Stick Resort in the heart of Scottsdale, Ariz.
The event is open to the public. Tickets are required for each night of fashion shows ranging from $25 for general admission to $60 for an assigned seat. Tickets can be purchased exclusively through www.phoenixfashionweek.com.
Follow Phoenix Fashion Week on Twitter: @PHXFashionWeek and #phxfashionweek or #phxfw.