Fish VeraCruz ingredients
1 7-oz. fish fillet (Snapper, Halibut, Salmon)
1 Tbsp. blackened seasoning
Chili Cornbread ingredients
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup corn kernels
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup clean roasted Hatch chilies, diced
Andouille VeraCruz Sauce ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 oz. yellow onions, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic, chopped
3 oz. Andouille Sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch sections
2 Tbsp. red wine
1 small can of diced tomatoes
1 oz. green bell peppers, 1/4 inch slices
1 oz. celery, 1/4 inch slices
1 oz. green olives, 1/4 inch slices
1 tsp. jalapenos, minced
1 bay leaf
a pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. olive juice
1. For the chili cornbread, combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl with a whisk until ingredients are completely incorporated and the mix resembles a batter like consistency.
2. Pour batter into a 9 x 9 teflon baking pan and set aside.
3. For the Andouille VeraCruz Sauce, heat a sauce pot to medium heat, add oil and heat for 1 minute.
4. Add onions and garlic and sweat for 1 minute.
5. Add sliced Andouille sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add wine to de-glaze the pan.
7. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. To begin cooking the fish, coat the belly side of the fish with seasoning and place, seasoned side down, on a heated grill. Once fish is marked, remove and finish cooking in a pre-heated 350-degree oven.
9. While fish is cooking, place pre-made chili cornbread in oven to bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until it is thoroughly cooked through. Once done, remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
10. As fish and cornbread cook, add your choice of seasonal vegetables to a heated sauté pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook until softly wilted, but not overcooked.
11. Begin plate up by placing heated cornbread on the left hand side of plate. Place finished fish atop cornbread. Top fish with sauce over the middle part of the fillet. Finish by placing seasonal vegetables on right hand side of plate next to fish. Serve with a lime wedge.
Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill is donating $1 from each menu item sold on their Chilie Fest menu to the Sojourner Center. Between Sept. 4 and 23, all four Valley Z'Tejas locations will offer this specialty menu. Z'Tejas will also serve as a drop off location for Bras for a Cause. Valley residents are encouraged to drop off their gently used bras to benefit the Sojourner Center, the largest domestic violence shelter in America, located right here in Phoenix.
Visit www.ztejas.com for more information.