PHOENIX -- Kids are going back-to school. Parents need tips to feel more energetic after a long summer break. (These tips are for the adults to feel terrific.)
1. Pack a healthy lunch bag. Eating mini-meals is the way to go to feel energetic all day long. Start with a healthy breakfast at home and graze during the day on fresh fruit, cut-up vegetables, hummus, a sandwich on sprouted bread, a green smoothie, and a handful of nuts. Skip drive-thru windows, vending machines, and office junk food.
2. Walk, dance, take a yoga class -- whatever makes you smile. 30 minutes a day. Shake it up; variety is important. Working out with a jump rope is one of the best ways to build cardio strength and it's fun. If you are under 5 feet 5 inches tall, use an 8-foot jump rope; between 5 feet 5 inches and 6 feet tall, use a 9-foot jump rope; taller than 6 feet, use a 10-foot rope. Start with two minutes and work your way up to 30 minutes.
3. Drink water to think clearer! Our brains are 75 percent water. Try to drink about 60 ounces of water per day. You'll drink more water if your container has a straw.
4. Avoid morning craziness. All the running around trying to get out the door on time zaps our energy and causes way too much stress. Try this tip: After dinner, each family member sorts his/her backpack, prepares lunch, and lays out their clothes. Breakfast table is set. Everyone's day starts off smoothly.
5. Learn something new. We are never too old to learn! Researchers have discovered adult brains are able to grow faster than previously thought. So listen to educational CDs in your car, take a class, or attend a seminar. I recommend a fabulous one: First Annual Arizona Conference for Women features five terrific speakers to help you feel vibrant, follow your passion, and have more energy.
To learn more about health and wellness educator Syd Hoffman, check out www.SydHoffman.com.
Book: "All-Day Energy: 100 Ways to Boost Your Energy…Now!"
Event Info: First Annual Arizona Conference for Women on Sat., Sept. 8, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Windmill Suites of Chandler., 3535 W. Chandler Blvd., Chandler
Special GMAZ rate until Aug. 18: $65 per person if you sign-up with a friend or $75 individual. Fee includes lunch and a paperback copy of the award-winning book "All-Day Energy: 100 Ways to Boost Your Energy…Now!" Complete schedule at www.SydHoffman.com.
Questions: Call 480-814-1780.