Electric cord sparked fire that killed firefighter

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on July 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Updated Sunday, Jul 6 at 2:00 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — The fire commissioner says a high-rise apartment fire blaze that killed a New York City fire lieutenant started in an air-conditioner electrical cord pinched between a bed frame and a wall.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said in a statement Sunday that the fire has been ruled accidental.

Lt. Gordon Ambelas (ihm-BELL'-ihz) died late Saturday after suffering multiple injuries while looking for possible victims in a burning apartment in Brooklyn. His was the Fire Department of New York's first line-of-duty death in more than two years.

The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. Saturday in an apartment on the 19th floor of a building in the Independence Towers complex, owned by the New York City Housing Authority. Flames spread to the 17th and 18th floors.

Print
Email
|