HILLSBORO, N.M. (AP) — Nine teenagers reported missing by state police investigating allegations of abuse at a ranch for troubled youth are safe and being returned to their parents, an attorney for the program's operators said Friday evening.
State police Friday launched an air and ground search of the 30,000-acre ranch in Sierra County after finding no one at the Tierra Blanca High Country Youth Program.
Program operators had been ordered to send the kids back to their parents or surrender them to the state after staff members were accused of beating and shackling students.
Ranch attorney Pete Domenici Jr. said in a statement Friday evening that the boys had been "on a previously scheduled activity away from the ranch for several days. They are safe and have already been picked up by their parents or their parents are en route to pick them up."
Domenici accused the state of escalating the situation by failing to agree to an emergency hearing in a lawsuit the ranch filed earlier this week over what the suits contends was an improperly handled investigation.
"We attempted to avoid exactly this type of situation by requesting an emergency hearing," he said.
State police did not immediately respond to phone calls seeking confirmation of the teen's whereabouts.
Earlier Friday, state police spokesman Emmanuel Gutierrez said officers went to Tierra Blanca High Country Youth Program in Sierra County with a court order to send the kids back to their parents or have them surrendered to the state.
"No one was there," Gutierrez said, so police launched aircraft and called in help from local law enforcement agencies to search the ranch.
Last week, the Albuquerque Journal reported state authorities were investigating claims that teenage boys were beaten and forced to wear leg shackles and handcuffs for minor violations of rules at the unlicensed program.
The operators of the ranch, Scott and Collette Chandler, deny any children have been harmed. And they filed a lawsuit earlier this week accusing investigators of targeting the ranch for closure following a fatal car crash involving students.
The operators also claimed investigators have been illegally interviewing students and telling parents to pull their children from the program by Friday or face abuse charges. Their lawsuit said at least one family was contacted directly by Gov. Susana Martinez, a claim her office denies.
"The parents have been subject to verbal bullying and threats from representatives of CYFD for several days," Domenici said in a statement. "Late yesterday afternoon, the Tierra Blanca Ranch received notice of a custody hearing for four of the youths scheduled for Friday, Oct. 18, 2013. No notice of today's efforts to take custody of the nine boys was provided. Instead of handling this matter in an orderly manner, CYFD chose to needlessly escalate the situation.
The Chandlers had traveled to Albuquerque on Thursday with two graduates of their program for a news conference to dispute the abuse allegations.
"I've never seen anyone beaten," said Kevin Finch, now a freshman at Western New Mexico University. "The accusations are downright lies."
Another graduate, Jon Cowen, said the program "turned my life around 180 degrees."
Chandler said Tierra Blanca has been operating for nearly 20 year. Its website promises a program for unmanageable kids that offers a balance of love, discipline and structure.
It is unclear how many such programs are operating in New Mexico or around the country, as many are unlicensed.
"That's the problem," said Varela, noting that the Tierra Blanca is the only such program in New Mexico of which state officials were aware.
He said the administration will push for legislation next year to regulate such programs so authorities know where any programs housing kids more than 60 days are operating and so officials are "able to go in and make sure that whatever youth are in there are safe."