MADISON, Ala. (AP) — Court records say the parents of an 18-month-old girl who died after eating dishwashing detergent may not have immediately helped the girl because they were heavily intoxicated.
Investigators have charged 31-year-old Kristopher Joseph Speigner and 29-year-old Joy Lynn Speigner with negligent homicide in the Sept. 30, 2012, death of their daughter, McKenzie.
Affidavits say the girl swallowed a dishwashing detergent pod and her parents didn't seek medical help for her until the next day because they had both used prescription drugs and drank alcohol.
The girl's father was arrested Monday and her stepmother surrendered to authorities Tuesday.
Jail records show the two have been released on $6,000 bond each. It's unclear if they have attorneys. A message left at a number for Kristopher Speigner was not immediately returned.