MONROE, Conn. (AP) — The mother of a 9-year-old girl from Newtown, Conn., says her daughter was "very happy to be back at school today."
For children who attended Sandy Hook Elementary, this is the first day of the first full school year without the 20 children and six educations who were killed by a gunman last December.
Brenda Lebinski says her daughter's transition into the fourth grade was made easier because she was able to have the same teacher as last year. Lebinski says everything "went well" this morning -- with a lot of teachers and therapy dogs greeting children when they arrived.
The students from Newtown are being bused to the neighboring town of Monroe. A former middle school there was renovated for them after the shootings.
Town voters will be asked in October to approve plans to demolish the school where the massacre occurred, and build a new one on the same property.
APPHOTO CTDAN101: A school bus departs Sandy Hook Elementary School in Monroe, Conn., as the first day of classes begins Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013, for students of Newtown, Conn. The students from the school are being bused to the neighboring town of where a former middle school was renovated for them after the Dec. 14, 2012 shootings. Adam Lanza killed 26 people at the school and committed suicide after fatally shooting his mother at their Newtown home. (AP Photo/Danbury News-Times, Carol Kaliff) (27 Aug 2013)
<<APPHOTO CTDAN101 (08/27/13)££