SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (AP) — An Army spokesman says there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute a former soldier who killed two Santa Cruz police detectives last month on two rape charges he faced years earlier while serving in the military.
Former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has called for investigations into why the military dropped charges against Jeremy Goulet, who gunned down the detectives Feb. 26.
Army spokesman Lt. Col. S. Justin Platt said Thursday that Honolulu prosecutors dropped the rape case after fingerprints and DNA did not point to Goulet in April 2006. He says the military declined the second charge after the DNA didn't match.
A Honolulu prosecutor says they never received the case.
Goulet's defense attorney Donald Wilkerson says he negotiated his client's discharge from the Army for both charges.