Surprise toddler injured after dresser falls on him

Print
Email
|

by azfamily.com

Video report by Erika Flores

Posted on April 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 8 at 3:07 PM

Map: Dresser accident

View larger map

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- A 3-year-old boy broke his leg when a dresser fell on him at his Surprise home Sunday.

It happened near 179th Avenue and Greenway Road.

Surprise Fire Capt. Shawn Marty said the boy broke his femur but that these types of calls can be much more serious if a child is hit in the head.

"This child was fortunate in the fact that it just caught him from the waist down," Marty said.

Firefighters gave the boy pain medication and used a splint to stabilize his injury.

The boy was then airlifted to Phoenix Children's Hospital, where he is in stable condition. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Firefighters recommend parents bolt down their furniture.
 

Print
Email
|