Firefighters rescue 2 from ledge outside burning condo

Print
Email
|

by Catherine Holland

Video report by Jill Galus

Posted on April 7, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 8 at 3:07 PM

Map: Broadway and Mill

View larger map

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Firefighters rescued two people from a burning condo early Monday morning.

It happened just after 3 a.m. near Broadway Road and Mill Avenue in Tempe.

The fire started in a garage below the couple's unit. Their smoke detectors alerted them to danger, but the fire blocked their best escape route.

The pair went to the farthest point from the flames and waited for firefighters to help them. Crews said that decision, coupled with the working smoke detectors, probably saved the residents' lives.

"They got themselves out of harm's way up on the second floor," Deputy Chief Mitch Bycura of the Tempe Fire Department explained.

"They were able to get themselves on a very narrow ledge. We were able to get them off that."

Neither one of the people was hurt.

Firefighters evacuated nearby condos as a precaution, but they managed to contain the bulk of the damage to the one unit.

It's not clear what sparked the fire.

Print
Email
|