Buckeye students transported to hospital as precaution after taking pills

Print
Email
|

by azfamily.com

azfamily.com

Posted on February 13, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Updated Monday, Feb 17 at 1:04 PM

Map: Freedom Elementary

View larger map

BUCKEYE, Ariz. -- Three eighth grade students in Buckeye were transported to a hospital as a precaution after they were seen taking prescription pills on campus.

Buckeye police said one of the Freedom Elementary School students had a prescription for headache medication and shared the pills with two friends.

Another student witnessed the incident, which police said occurred about 8:15 a.m., and notified teachers. School staff then called police and fire personnel.

Buckeye Fire Capt. Scott Balak said the initial call was for an overdose involving multiple students, so several fire trucks and ambulances responded.

Emergency responders found three students who had apparently ingested a prescription medication but, according to police, they only took one pill each.

Police said the students were conscious and responding to medical crews.

Police and fire personnel noted that taking another person's prescription medication can be dangerous.

"If they're not feeling well and there's any kind of reports of them taking a medication that's not prescribed, then absolutely that needs to be evaluated by medical (personnel)," Balak said.

Print
Email
|