PHOENIX -- At 3:30 a.m. Sunday, smoke filled a home near 61st Avenue and Encanto Boulevard.
Inside of the home were four teenagers fast asleep, and firefighters said they are lucky to be alive.
Two of those teens are Shawn Hornsby and Brittany Peters.
“I woke up and the fire was blazing,” Hornsby recalled. “I got everybody up.”
“We were all sleeping and then out of nowhere the two boys rushed into the room and started screaming 'fire,' ” Peters said. “We climbed out the window.”
Hornsby said all but one dog also made it out of the burning home.
“They were in the garage, so when we opened it up they just ran out,” Peters said. “The front door was locked, so we couldn't get all the dogs out. The firefighter got one of the boy dogs out and the other one died.”
“I lost pretty much a bunch of stuff that I would need but it's all good,” Hornsby said, adding that everyone getting out safely was the most important thing.
As for the cause, Peters said it might have an electrical problem.
"The plugins back there, they spark up and stuff," she said.
Firefighters said the teens are lucky to be alive since the home didn’t appear to have any smoke detectors. The teens, who were renting the home, said they’re staying at a neighbor's house.