PHOENIX -- The Scottsdale father accused of killing his two young sons before turning the gun on himself entered a plea of not guilty at his arraignment Monday morning.
Andre Leteve was released from the hospital and wheeled into the Maricopa County jail last Monday.
According to investigators, 38-year-old real estate broker Andre Leteve and his wife Laurie were going through a divorce.
On March 31, police said Andre Leteve called 911 and said he had shot his child. When they arrived at his Scottsdale home, officers found his sons, 5-year-old Alec and 1-year-old Asher, dead.
Andre was alive with what police say was a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Police say Laurie Leteve was not home at the time. Laurie's family attorney Bob Jensen said there was no indication that Andre would become violent.
"I will challenge anyone to say that there were warning signs here that should have been picked up on by her, by the lawyers by anyone," Jensen said. "They just simply didn't exist."
Jensen also said there had never been a threat that Andre would lose his children; the couple had agreed to joint custody.
Jensen also said that the divorce had been relatively amicable with the exception of a few recent, angry emails.
"It's not surprising that he might feel some anger, justified or unjustified, just by the fact that he was not the party making this decision."
Nonetheless, he said there was never enough apparent anger to raise concerns about the safety of the children.
New court documents, however, call Leteve physically ill and and mentally disturbed.
According to investigators, Leteve told them he killed the boys because he was afraid their mother was going to move them to Florida.
Leteve, who still cannot speak because of his injuries, entered his plea through his attorney. Leteve was not actually in the courtroom. The proceeding was conducted via video.
A pre-trial hearing has been scheduled for May 28.