2 firefighters injured in first-alarm fire at Mesa public storage facility

Print
Email
|

by Catherine Holland

azfamily.com

Posted on April 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 20 at 5:17 PM

Map: Arizona Storage Inns, Mesa

View larger map

MESA, Ariz. -- Two firefighters reportedly were injured while battling a fire at a public storage facility near McKellips Road and Country Club Drive in Mesa Wednesday morning.

Black smoke could be seen billowing from several individual units at Arizona Storage Inns Self Storage.

The fire was designated as a first-alarm, which means additional firefighters were called out, including crews from the Tempe Fire Department.

According to Forrest Smith of the Mesa Fire Department, eight small units burned. Crews were able to stop the flames from spreading even further, but the smoke pumped out by the fire extended to more than 30 units.

Even after the bulk of the fire had been extinguished, several hot spots continued to generate quite a bit of smoke, Smith said.

Two Mesa firefighters were injured battling the fire. One suffered an injury to his back and the other had raised vital signs which caused concerns. Both were transported to the hospital as a precaution and are expected to be okay.

It’s not known what sparked the fire nor was a damage estimate immediately available.

There are five Arizona Storage Inns locations in Mesa, as well as several more in surrounding cities. According to the company's website, each of the facilities is locally owned and operated.

Print
Email
|