PHOENIX -- The National Weather Service in Phoenix has issued a dust Storm Warning, which is in effect until 6 p.m. this evening. At 4:15 p.m. a National Weather Service employee reported a dust storm was approaching Casa Grande from the south.
- Affected area: west-central Pinal County and southwest Maricopa County.
- Locations include: Gila Bend... Casa Grande... interstates 10 and 8... and State Route 85.
- Timing: areas of dense blowing dust will spread north through 6 p.m.
- Winds: 30 to 40 mph... mainly from the south.
- Visibility: briefly at or below one quarter mile.
- Impacts: motorists will experience periods of sharply reduced visibility and are urged to exercise extreme caution.
NWS Precautionary Preparedness Actions
A Dust Storm Warning is issued when winds have generated large areas of blowing dust or blowing sand that have substantially reduced visibilities to 1/4 mile or less resulting in hazardous driving conditions in some areas.
Be ready for a sudden drop in visibility to near zero. Use extra caution and slow down while driving as objects on and near roadways will be seen only at close range.
If you encounter blowing dust or blowing sand on the roadway or see it approaching pull off the road as far as possible and put your vehicle in park. Turn the lights all the way off and keep your foot off the brake pedal.