Charges filed a second time against suspect in fatal hit-and-run

Print
Email
|

by Tami Hoey

azfamily.com

Posted on June 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jul 2 at 12:13 PM

Map: 11th St. & Northern

View larger map

PHOENIX -- Charges have now been re-filed against a man arrested in connection with a deadly hit-and-run accident in March.

Christopher W. Chevalier, 45, faces charges of manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident. He's accused in the hit-and-run death of Ana Blaze who was walking with a friend along Northern Avenue and 11th Street in Phoenix on March 3.

Police say a car jumped the curb and slammed into her then left the scene. The mother of two died the next morning.

Chevalier, who owns the vehicle, came forward on March 4 and authorities took custody of the Alfa Romeo. He did not provide any information to police.

Following an investigation, police said they believed that Chevalier was the driver and arrested him. But charges against him were dismissed April 2.

Prosecutors then asked police for further investigation into the case and they complied. Now, charges have been filed against him once again and he is behind bars. His next court date is July 1.

"There is a joy in our hearts tonight to know the Grand Jury did have enough evidence to indict him," said Angelina Blaze, Ana's sister-in-law.

The family says this case has been an emotional roller coaster, so far.  However, Angelina Blaze told 3TV his new development brings them great relief.

"I feel with all my heart that justice will prevail," said Angelina Blaze.  "He should be charged with manslaughter.  He left my sister-in-law on the side of the road to die like an animal.  He took her life and changed all of our lives."

Chevalier's next court date is scheduled for July 1st.

Print
Email
|