UPDATE: Condemned serial killer also sentenced to life

Print
Email
|

by The Associated Press

azfamily.com

Posted on August 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 24 at 10:47 AM

azfamily.com

UPDATE: MARCH 30

PHOENIX - The man convicted of killing six people in Phoenix's Serial Shooter attacks has been sentenced to two consecutive life terms just days after being sentenced to death.

A jury on Friday gave Dale Hausner six death sentences for six murder convictions. Monday's sentencing was for 74 additional charges, including attempted first-degree murder, aggravated assault and drive-by shooting.

In addition to the two life sentences, Judge Roland Steinle sentenced Hausner to nearly 365 years for all the other counts.

Hausner was convicted March 13 in the series of random nighttime attacks, which kept the city on edge in 2005 and 2006.

Hausner's former roommate, Samuel Dieteman, is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to two of the Serial Shooter killings. Dieteman testified against Hausner.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

UPDATE MARCH 27: Hausner gets 6 death sentences

PHOENIX -- The main suspect in Phoenix's Serial Shooter attacks was given six death sentences today for a series of murders that put the city on edge for nearly two years.

Jury decides on 6 death sentences
azfamily.com

Dale Hausner was convicted two weeks ago of murdering six of the eight people slain during a 14-month crime spree that became known as the Serial Shooter case. He also was convicted of attacking 19 others in the random nighttime shootings that began in May 2005.

The death sentences were imposed by a jury, which yesterday was told by Hausner to put him to death because it would help the victims' families heal.

As the jury's decisions were announced, Hausner was expressionless, keeping his head down as he flipped through papers in front of him. Before being led out of the courtroom, Hausner thanked the judge who presided over his seven-month trial.

Hausner is scheduled to be sentenced Monday on 74 other convictions.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

ORIGINAL REPORT MARCH 26:

PHOENIX -- A man convicted of six murders in Phoenix's Serial Shooter attacks says he's willing to take whatever punishment is handed down by a jury considering whether to sentence him to death.

Dale Hausner declined the opportunity to call witnesses on his behalf on Thursday. He never directly admitted guilt when taking the witness stand during the sentencing phase of his trial.

He pointed out to jurors that he never admitted to doing the crimes.

Hausner suggested in the past that his former roommate may have carried out some of the attacks. But he told jurors Thursday that he never blamed anyone else for the crimes.

Hausner was convicted earlier this month of killing six people and attacking 19 others in random nighttime shootings in 2005 and 2006.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Print
Email
|