PHOENIX -- Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among women, which is why it's so critical when faced with the diagnosis to get a second opinion.
That's exactly what Linda Rose did. She was told by her doctor that she had cancer in one of her breasts. Her doctor recommended she get a second opinion, just to be sure, and sent her to the Arizona Institute for Breast Health.
It was there, doctors found a more serious grade of cancer in her other breast.
AIBH is one of the only non-profit organizations of its kind in the United States. It offers free second opinions for breast cancer patients.
The organization is made up of a group of volunteer medical professionals who specialize in breast cancer care.
One of the founders of the organization is breast cancer specialist Dr. Coral Quiet. When she came to Arizona in 1993, she noticed that 80 percent of breast cancer patients were being treated with mastectomy. The other 20 percent were being treated with lumpectomy and radiation which aimed at preserving the breast.
That's why Dr. Quiet created AIBH, in hopes to help breast cancer patients become more informed and aware of their breast cancer and all their treatment options.
Linda Rose has been cancer free for four years now. As a former patient of AIBH, she has nothing but gratitude for the organization. So much so in fact that she is AIBH's board president.
For more information about the Arizona Institute for Breast Health, you can visit their website at www.aibh.org or call them at 480-860-4200.