PHOENIX -- A Valley teen is back at home after nearly losing his life to a backyard fire.
It was five months ago that 13-year-old David Soria was engulfed in flames and burned over 70 percent of his body after he added accelerant to burning trash.
His condition was up in the air for several months, and he was forced to undergo some 12 surgeries.
“There were some moments we didn’t know what was going to happen, we didn’t know what was going to be next. We were really scared and nervous,” said David’s mother Sara Soria.
Soria said the family is trying to get David to focus on other things as he continues to recover. She’s worried, however, that life outside of the Grossman Burn Center at St. Luke’s Medical Center won’t be easy.
“Here they’ve treated him like normal. It’s David, just David survivor, that’s it. But out there it’s going to be a whole different story,” said Soria.
David enjoyed a ride home from the hospital courtesy of a Phoenix fire truck. His mother said she hopes people remember his story and learn from David’s experience.
“Anything you do has a consequence, so just anything you touch that has to do with fire just think about it twice,” Soria added.