PHOENIX – A woman and her grandchild safely escaped a house fire late Tuesday morning.
Firefighters from Phoenix and Glendale responded to a home near 51st Avenue and Thunderbird Road at 11:30 a.m. and found a porch fire that extended into the attic.
The woman was home baby-sitting her grandchild when she smelled smoke, according to Capt. Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire Department. They got out of the house and were not injured.
Two dogs and a desert tortoise were removed from the home without injury.
Mure said a large amount of debris in the backyard and attic made it difficult for the crews to extinguish the fire.
The family of four will be displaced due to the fire damage.
Mure said people often use an attic as additional storage space, but attics become extremely hot in the summertime, often damaging the stored items and making them more flammable. The added weight also can cause a ceiling to collapse.