SPRINGERVILLE, Ariz. -- The Wallow Fire Structure Assessment Team has completed its work in Greer. Area Command Team 3 provided the following report at 19:53 MST. The team reports that 22 homes were destroyed, 5 homes damaged and 24 outbuildings and 1 truck destroyed. The Apache County Sheriff is still in the process of tracking and notifying the property owner.
• Full evacuations for Eagar, Springerville, Sunrise, Greer, Blue River, Alpine, Nutrioso, and the following subdivisions along highways 180/191: Escudilla Mountain Estates, Bonita, White Mtn. Acres, and the H-V Ranch. This area includes County Roads 4000, 4001, and 4225.
• The evacuation center is located at Blue Ridge High School, 1200 W. White Mtn. Blvd., Pinetop-Lakeside.
• A pre-evacuation alert has been issued by the Apache County Sheriff’s Office for Greens Peak, Hidden Meadow, and the surrounding areas.
• A pre-evacuation alert has been issued by Catron County Sheriff’s Office for Luna, New Mexico.
• Residents in the communities affected by this fire are asked to remain prepared should an evacuation order be issued.
Residents with livestock or animals that need care should contact the Apache County Sheriff’s Office (928) 337-4321 or the Greenlee County Sheriff’s Office (928) 865-4149.rs who were affected. Notifications
The Apache County Sheriff’s officials are currently in the process of notifying residents of Alpine and Nutrioso who have sustained damage to their homes due to the fire. There were 5 homes affected. Residents of Alpine and Nutrioso that have had outbuilding damages will receive a certified letter in a few days at the Show Low Post Office.
The Arizona Department of Transportation reminds traveling motorists that the following closures on state highways remain in effect:
• Nearly 20 miles of U.S. 60 has been closed from Springerville to the New Mexico state line.
This closure stretches from mileposts 384 to 401.
• State Route 260 is closed in both directions east of the Hawley Lake turnoff (State Route 473 junction) and Eagar. SR 260 is closed between mileposts 368-398 near Eagar.
• State Route 373, a 4.5 mile-long highway that connects the town of Greer in eastern Arizona with SR 260 west of Eagar.
• U.S. 191 is closed between Alpine and north of Clifton (mileposts 176 to 253).
• State routes 261 and 273, the main access roads to Big Lake and Crescent Lake in the White Mountains. SR 261 is closed to the junction of SR 260 to Crescent Lake (mileposts 395 to 413) and SR 273 is closed between the SR 260 junction and to the SR 261 junction (mileposts 378 to 394).
• U.S. 180 is closed between the SR 260 junction near Eagar and the New Mexico state line (mileposts 403 to 433).
• For current road conditions, please visit http://www.azdot.gov
Dozer line construction took place along Highway 260 going west from Eagar to Highway 373 junction; then southeast to Greer Lake in prep for burnout for tonight’s operational period. Firefighters are prepping with dozer line in the south end of Greer Valley heading southwest to Highway 273 at Sheep’s Crossing for an additional burnout. Dozer line will take place on the east side of Escudilla Mountain extending southeast towards Luna, New Mexico for burnout. All fuel moistures are extremely low.
Due to extreme fire conditions, the Apache National Forest is closed to all public entry. See website for closure order details. Please see the Forest website for more information: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/asnf/.
Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests Fire Restrictions: A Temporary Emergency Closure Order
was issued effective June 3 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). For more information, please call the Arizona fire restrictions hotline 1-877-864-6985 or visit http://www.publiclands.org/firenews/AZ.php.
Wallow Fire Facts:
Date Started: 5/29/2011
Location: south and west of Alpine, Arizona
Number of Personnel: Approximately 3,012, Including 24 hotshot crews and 79 handcrews
Equipment: 18 dozers, 197 engines, 61 tenders
Size: 386,690 acres based on last night’s infrared flight
Aircraft: 16 helicopters
Percent Contained: 5%
Cause: Human – under investigation
Injuries to Date: 3 minor injuries
Residences: 5,242 threatened, 29 destroyed, 5 damaged
Structures: 24 destroyed
Other: 1 truck destroyed