Twin brothers save family from burning home


by Catherine Holland

Video report by Tess Rafols

Posted on April 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 9 at 3:30 PM

Map: Near 43rd Ave. & McDowell

View larger map

PHOENIX -- Twin brothers saved a Phoenix family of seven from their burning home early Friday morning.

It happened at about 3:30 a.m. northwest of 43rd Avenue and McDowell Road, near Sueno Park.

Josue (above left) and Jose Ramirez were on their way home from work when the spotted smoke billowing into the air. They followed the smoke to a home in the 4500 block of West Hubbell Street.

They said smoke was pouring from the roof and flames were clearly visible at the top and sides of the house.

They didn't know if anybody was in the house, but quickly jumped into action to try and find out.

Jose called 911 while Josue pounded on the front door and hustled the family to safety.

"I'm very grateful for them," Dharshina Begay said, her daughter securely in her arms. "I think they were in the right place at the right time to help us out here. I'm really glad that they drove by at the time that they did."

While they are heroes in the eyes of the Begay family, the brothers said they just did what they thought was right.

"I would want someone to help me out," Josue said. "If my house were on fire, I'd want them to stop by ...."

"That shows a lot about how they were raised and their character, that they knew this was the right thing to do ...," Begay said.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames and the damage to the attic area at the rear of the house. They say faulty electrical wiring over a bathroom in the back of the house sparked the fire.

With the flames trapped in the attic, the roof could have collapsed, firefighters said.

The Begays, all of whom are safe thanks to the Ramirez twins, will be staying with family until repairs to their home can be made.