TUCSON, Ariz. -- A Tucson family is in need of a new place to live after one of their children started a fire in their apartment.
Firefighters responded to the apartment Wednesday morning after a smoke alarm activated the smoke alarm system.
The family of five was able to escape their third-story apartment without any injuries.
Fire officials added that the neighboring unit was unoccupied at the time.
Authorities went on to determine that a child had been playing with a lighter and wound up setting a mattress on fire.
An estimated $60,000 in damage was done to the apartment, which is now considered a total loss.
The Red Cross is working with the family as they recover following the fire. The manager of the apartment complex is also working with the family to try to get them into another apartment.