Toddler pulled from backyard swimming pool

Print
Email
|

by Erika Flores

Bio | Email | Follow: @ErikaFloresTV

azfamily.com

Posted on July 26, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Updated Saturday, Jul 26 at 9:31 PM

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A toddler was found unresponsive in an above-ground pool on Saturday afternoon.

Emergency responders were called out to the house near 55th and Olive avenues. They said the girl and her mother were visiting the house.

David Kaufman lives across the street.

"It's the worst thing there is," said Kaufman.

He was shocked to hear what happened in his neighbor's pool.

"Oh my God, that's awful," he said when he found out a two-year-old girl was found floating in a pool.

"I can't even imagine. That would be tough,” said Kaufman.

A spokesman for the Glendale Fire Department said the toddler wasn't breathing when paramedics arrived.

"They just lost track of her and really don't know how long she was in the pool,” said Gilbert Mancilla, with the Glendale Fire Dept.

"It's hard. Kids are pretty quick when they want to be," said Kaufman.

Mancilla said the homeowner gave the toddler CPR until firefighters could get there.

"You never know when you may need it,” said Mancilla.

It’s something Mancilla said could help save a life.

"If you understand how to do CPR, you are able to be a little calmer, and you're able to do the proper technique,” said Mancilla.

Neighbor Luis Rodriguez said he learned CPR.

"I do have a little brother, so if that were to happen I know CPR but hopefully that never comes in handy," said Rodriguez.

Especially since his 5-year-old brother doesn't know how to swim.

“I’m learning,” said Carlos Torres.

Kaufman said he has a six-year-old granddaughter.

"It hits a little close doesn't it,” said Kaufman.

He said seeing emergency lights outside of his front door is encouraging him to learn CPR.

"I guess if you have a little granddaughter you should probably learn it anyway, right?” said Kaufman.

He's also reminded to always keep an eye on his granddaughter.

"We just have a baby pool, but she loves going in there all the time, and I wouldn't know what I would do if that happened," said Kaufman.

Glendale Fire said the toddler is in critical condition.

Print
Email
|