PHOENIX -- As college basketball aficionados began predicting the teams that would compete for NCAA championship glory, Arizona foodies got revved up for the Arizona Restaurant Association’s first ever Ultimate Burrito Showdown.
When all was said and done, it came down to Someburros' Breakfast Burritos.
"We have some amazing fans," Someburros regional manager Tim Vasquez said. "They kept voting us in. We went up against some really, really good restaurants throughout the Valley, but we ended up on top."
Vasquez' parents launched the restaurant in Tempe in 1986 using his grandmother's recipes.
"Her legacy lives on," he said of his grandmother.
There are now five Valley locations and sixth in Flagstaff. They're all owned and operated by the Vasquez family.
Tiffanie Hawkins of the Arizona Restaurant Association presented Vasquez with a unique burrito trophy.
Burrito Bracket Sloppy 16
- Carolina’s, Phoenix - Machaca Burrito
- Molina’s Midway, Tucson - Crazy Burro
- Los Dos Molinos, Phoenix & Mesa - Green Chile Burrito
- Barrio Queen, Scottsdale - Barrio Pollo Burrito
- Blanco Tacos, Phoenix & Scottsdale - Machaca Burrito
- Crescent Ballroom, Phoenix - Al Pastor Burrito
- Joyride Taco House, Gilbert - The Beast
- Someburros, Statewide - Breakfast Burritos (winner)
- Javelina Cantina, Sedona - Super Burrito
- BLD, Chandler - Short Rib Breakfast Burrito
- America’s Taco Shop, Valleywide - Carne Asada Burrito
- Otro Café, Phoenix - Carne Asada Burrito
- The Original Burrito Co., Ahwatukee - Barbacoa Burrito
- Chino Bandido, Phoenix & Chandler - Jade Chicken Burrito
- Carlsbad Tavern, Scottsdale - Carne Adovado
- SOL Cocina, Scottsdale - Chipotle Shrimp Grilled Burrito
The Arizona Restaurant Association’s spring Arizona Restaurant Week is May 17-26.