LITCHFIELD PARK, Ariz. -- A West Valley restaurant tied to a possible E. coli outbreak is now facing a second lawsuit.
According to a complaint filed Tuesday, Melani Beauregard and her two children ate food from Federico's Mexican Food restaurant at Camelback and Dysart roads in Litchfield Park on July 24.
Beauregard said her 16-year-old daughter became ill with severe abdominal cramps, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems. Her symptoms worsened and she was hospitalized for several days for treatment of an E. coli infection.
Brian Clayton, 25, also has filed a lawsuit against the same Federico's location. According to the court filing, Clayton ate food from the restaurant on July 27 and July 29. Clayton said he got sick on July 30.
According to the court document filed Monday, he developed symptoms caused by an E. coli infection and went to a hospital emergency room on Aug. 1. He was eventually admitted to the hospital.
Both lawsuits claim the restaurant owners were negligent and ask for damages for pain and suffering, related wage and lost earning capacity, emotional distress and medical expenses.
According to the Maricopa County Department of Public Health, more than 30 people complained of bloody diarrhea following a visit to the restaurant on or after July 23.
Health officials are still investigating if the food was contaminated with E. coli.
The restaurant closed its doors on Friday and employees voluntarily threw away $10,000 worth of food. It reopened on Monday after a county health inspector said it was in compliance.