Puppy recovering after ingesting rodent poison


by Jennifer Thomas


Posted on July 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 4 at 10:30 AM

PHOENIX – A puppy is recovering at the Arizona Humane Society's Second Chance Animal Hospital after accidentally ingesting rodent poison.

AHS emergency animal medical technicians rescued the 13-week-old brindle Labrador mix on Sunday and took him to AHS' trauma center for homeless pets.

The puppy was bleeding profusely from his nose and had lost so much blood that he required a transfusion, according to AHS spokeswoman Bretta Nelson.

Reeces will enter foster care for 30 days to ensure that all of the toxins are out of his system and give him time to recover.

"This is a reminder to pet parents to invest in nontoxic forms of rodent control and to keep all toxins out of the reach of both kids and pets," Nelson said.

Toxic forms of rodent control can also lead to secondary intoxication of other domestic pets and wild animals that ingest the poisoned rodents.

AHS offers a Working Cat program where shelter cats that are determined to be more behaviorally suited to a working lifestyle are placed in barns, warehouses and ranches in order to help control the rodent population, according to Nelson.

If a pet appears to have ingested a poison, owners should seek immediate veterinary care regardless of the amount or whether the animal shows ill effects.

The ASPCA's national animal poison control center can be reached at 1-888-426-4435.


News Headlines - Top Stories Video
More Video