TUCSON, Ariz. -- For the first time, police say a missing Tucson girl was, in fact, abducted from her home last month.
Detectives previously called the disappearance of 6-year-old Isabel Celis a "suspicious disappearance/possible abduction."
"There's no indication whatsoever that Isabel just got up and left the house on her own," said Tucson police spokeswoman Sgt. Maria Hawke. "She left through the power, through assistance, of someone else. Either somebody took her or inticed her out of the residence in some way, shape or form and so for that reason we cannot just say that she got up and walked out."
Approximately 26 Tucson police officers and Pima County sheriff's deputies, including two K-9 units, searched a wash area near Davis Monthan Air Force Base on Tuesday, but they did not find any evidence related to Isabel's disappearance.
Police did not say what prompted the search, but they did say it is not the first time officers have looked in the area.
"We have checked numerous areas multiple times and will continue to do so as we continue to gather additional information," Hawke said.
Isabel's father discovered her missing from her bed April 21 after the girl's mother, Becky Celis, left for work. A window in her bedroom was later found open with the screen pushed aside.
Sergio Celis is currently not allowed to have contact with his two sons after reaching a voluntary agreement with Child Protective Services. Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villaseñor said it does not mean that he is a suspect in his daughter's disappearance.
Police have searched lakes at city parks and a landfill near the family's home to find Isabel. They also contacted every identified sex offender in the area.