Pesticide causes Phoenix senior center evacuation

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press and azfamily.com

azfamily.com

Posted on April 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Updated Monday, Apr 7 at 10:21 AM

PHOENIX -- One person was taken to a hospital and up to 70 others have been evacuated from a Phoenix assisted living facility because of a hazmat situation.

Authorities say a resident of the senior center near 7th Avenue and Broadway Road apparently spilled the pesticide Thursday afternoon and that led to precautionary evacuations.

Phoenix Fire Department officials say 70 people from 52 units were affected at the center.

The Grand Canyon chapter of the American Red Cross is sheltering and providing food for about 22 people who were displaced by the spill, according to spokeswoman Trudy Thompson Rice.

She said in an email that the shelter will remain open at least until Friday.

Print
Email
|