Do you plan to get the new driver's license before your current license expires?
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Department of Transportation announced it is introducing a new design to driver licenses and a new process for receiving licenses.
Starting June 16, anyone applying for a new license will receive a temporary credential at a motor vehicle division office, according to ADOT. The permanent card being mailed to a home address will be mailed in 15 days.
ADOT also said it has changed its driver license design to improve its security and protect against identify theft with several new features.
Current licenses will remain valid until they expire or the photo reaches the 12-year mark when it needs to be updated. You can buy a duplicate license for $12.
The new license design includes:
- A larger portrait image and a smaller ghost portrait
- A background made of unique geological features from across Arizona
- A laser perforation in the shape of Arizona
- A raised date of birth that can be detected by touch
- A ringtail, the state mammal, on the front
- A laminate overlay with the Arizona outline, the word “Arizona,” a cactus, a star and the state seal