Man severely burned in fire at assisted-living apartment complex in Mesa

Print
Email
|

by Catherine Holland

Video report by Ryan O'Donnell

Posted on January 13, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Updated Monday, Jan 13 at 11:37 AM

Map: 6220 E. Broadway Road

View larger map

MESA, Ariz., -- An elderly man suffered burns to half of his body when the assisted-living apartment complex that he calls home caught fire early Monday morning.

It happened shortly before 3 a.m. at The Springs of East Mesa at Broadway and Power roads.

The fire started on the third floor. According to the Mesa Fire Department, the sprinkler system at the complex kicked in and did its job. By the time crews arrived on the scene, the sprinklers had mostly doused the flames.

Investigators are not sure what sparked the fire, but they believe it started in the bedroom of the victim's apartment. The man, who has not been identified, was taken to Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center. His prognosis was not immediately available.

While the bulk of the damage was contained to the victim's apartment, the Fire Department said 10 other people were displaced because of water damage from the sprinklers.

No other injuries were reported.

Managed by Brookdale, a company that specializes in senior living, The Springs of East Mesa offers both independent living and assisted living.

Print
Email
|