Man burned in Flagstaff motorhome fire

Man burned in Flagstaff motorhome fire

Credit: Flagstaff Fire Department

Man burned in Flagstaff motorhome fire

Print
Email
|

by Christina O'Haver

azfamily.com

Posted on April 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 8 at 2:12 PM

Map: Motorhome fire

View larger map

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- A man was severely burned when his motorhome caught fire Friday night, according to the Flagstaff Fire Department.

It occurred on Troxler Circle in the University Heights neighborhood near Northern Arizona University.

Firefighters responded about 7 p.m. and found the motorhome fully involved, flames running up a tree, a pickup truck on fire, and a house exposed to flames, according to Flagstaff Fire Capt. Bill Morse.

The man was found lying in the street and treated for severe burns to his face and arms, Morse said. He was transported to Flagstaff Medical Center.

Morse said the man was the only occupant of the motorhome.

He reportedly tried to light his propane stove when an explosion blew out the windows of the RV and started a fire.

The blaze is still under investigation.

"Propane is an extremely flammable gas that is heavier than air and can build up in confined spaces until reaching an ignition source, often resulting in catastrophic fire and explosions if not handled properly," Morse said in a statement.

Print
Email
|