House fire injures man in wheelchair, kills dog

Print
Email
|

by Catherine Holland

Video report by Javier Soto

Posted on April 18, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Updated Tuesday, Apr 22 at 2:05 PM

Map: 13th Avenue and Sherman

View larger map

PHOENIX -- Firefighters believed a knocked-over candle started a fire that put a man in the hospital and killed a dog early Friday morning.

It happened at a home in the area of 13th Avenue and Sherman Street, which is north of Buckeye Road. Crews said it started in a makeshift shed behind the house. The room did not have any electricity.

Firefighters said there was quite a bit of stuff in the house to fuel the fire.

Four people, one of them in a wheelchair, were home when the fire started. A woman rescued the man in the wheelchair, pulling him from the burning home. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

A second man reportedly fled the scene right after the fire started.

No other injuries were reported.

Print
Email
|