Hero dog saves 4 from house fire

Print
Email
|

by azfamily.com

Video report by Ryan O'Donnell

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 6:40 AM

Updated Monday, Feb 24 at 10:00 AM

Map: Near Seventh St. & Northern

View larger map

PHOENIX -- Four people owe their lives to a dog they are caring for while its owner is away. The dog woke them up when their house caught fire early Friday morning.

It happened in the neighborhood of Seventh Street and Northern Avenue. Four adults were house sitting.

Firefighters believe it started in the carport. The flames destroyed the two vehicles inside.

The house sitters were asleep when the fire started at about 1 a.m. The dog started barking, waking them up before the smoke detectors sounded and giving them just enough time to escape.

"We were just running through the flames," Sheila Maiden said.

No injuries were reported.

It's not clear what sparked the fire.

Print
Email
|